About Titanium Rain

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

How do you feel about the criticisms against photo ref artists and what do you think sets your work apart from that?

Frankly, I find the biast against photo reference in comic art to be overplayed. Dave McKean uses photos, Alex Ross uses photos, so does JH Williams...and they are all widely respected artists in the field. It's really not a big deal to anyone except a handful of angry purists.

As for my own work, I consider myself a storyteller above all. The style in Titanium Rain is a means to an end in that sense. Wheather people consider it "real" art or not isn't what matters. For me it's all about conveying the story I want to tell.

-Josh

Ask me anything

1 comment:

The Art of JK Woodward said...

There are actually much fewer artists who DON'T use photo refs than those that do.
It's irresponsible for an artist NOT to use refs, particularly with props and backgrounds. If a writer asks for the lobby of the Chrysler Building, for example, there is a reason(at least in the writer's mind anyway, so you damn well better find refs and get it right.